[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: E-mail Address in WEB Browser

----------
| From:  <patw@aqmd.gov>

| Sorry, I guest I did not make my self clear the first time.  I want to know
| if there are write up or plan to make the E-mail address you put in the web
| browser more secure.
| For example, I can put somebody-else E-mail address (on the mail server I
| am using) on my Netscape Web browser, and visit some web site and sent
| "mailto" messages under that assume name.  The mail would be sent to the
| "mailto" address as the person I have put in the E-Mail options
| of the Netscape browser.

The solution to this problem is also very similar to the one used in
snail mail,
perhaps its something to to with *mail* systems.
The idea is that you include some identifying (and hard to forge)
information in the document.
This could be a wax seal, a hand written signature, a piece of code
based on a shared secret, references to previous shared secret (non
reusable :-).

In the electronic world you might want an electronic signature, however
you cant force me to sign my mail, the best you can do is reject/ignore
unsigned email.

- Jon Tidswell
Disclaimer: I think my thoughts are my own, and I believe my writings
are too.